Or: "Movies That Don't Suck"
Last Updated: May 10, 2005(see last few at end of list)
I love lots of movies, but the movies listed below are the best. These movies I could see again or have seen at least two or three times each.
I've tried to include release dates and major stars. Email me your thoughts to: GaryShaboo@garyshaboo.com
1. Patton (1970) with George C. Scott.
2. Apocalypse Now (1979) with Martin Sheen, Sam Bottoms, Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
3. 12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda, Jack Klugman, Martin Balsam, Jack Warden, E. G. Marshall
4. Jaws (1975) with Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw. Directed by Steven Spielberg.
5. The Godfather I and II(1972) and (1974) with Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Talia Shire. Directed by Coppola.Godfather III su*ked.
6. The Conversation(1974) with Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams, directed by CoppolaIt's the best movie you've probably never heard of.
7. Running (1977?) with Michael Douglas.A really overlooked movie that you can't find anywhere.
8. Planet Of the Apes (1967) with Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall.Can't beat the Apes.
9. The Sunshine Boys (1975) with Walter Matthau, George Burns, Richard Benjamin.Gotta love Matthau and Burns. 10. The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) with Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam. Another reason NOT to take the subway. My girlfriend thinks everyone is rude in the movie.
11. Soylent Green (1973) with Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Chuck Connors.
Save me some soylent.
12. Bad News Bears (1976) with Walter Matthau, Vic Morrow, Tatum O'Neal.
13. Save the Tiger (1973) with Jack Lemmon.Saw this by mistake one year and loved it.
14. Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn (1982) with Ricardo Montalban and the rest of the crew.Gotta love Kahn.
15. Star Wars (1977) with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie FisherSaw it on my birthday when it debuted.
16. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) with Alec Guiness, William Holden
17. Network (1976) with Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch, William Holden
18. All the President's Men (1976) with Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Hal Holbrook, Jason Robards
19. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) with Robert Redford, Paul Newman
20. The Sting (1973) with Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Robert Shaw
21. The Gambler (1974) with James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Lauren Hutton
I like Caan, and this movie is interesting to watch someone slowly sink to the bottom.
22. Rollerball (1975) with James Caan, John Houseman
I think this is soon to occur.
23. Dark Star (1974) with Dan O'Bannon. Directed by John Carpenter.
I saw this on HBO in the 70's, and I had to own the tape. O'Bannon wrote Aliens, and this movie is a lot of fun.
24. Citizen Kane (1941) with Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Agnes Moorehead
I liked it better after seeing a documentary about Orson Welles.
25. The Ten Commandments (1956) with Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner.
Gotta watch it every year.
26. M*A*S*H (1970) with Elliott Gould, Donald Sutherland, Sally Kellerman
I see something different everytime I watch it.
27. Capricorn One (1978) with Elliott Gould, James Brolin, Hal Holbrook, Brenda Vacarro, O. J. Simpson.
Surprisingly interesting and thought-provoking.
28. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) with Richard Dreyfuss, Teri Garr. Directed by Spielberg.
Vivid memories of watching in the theatre and loving it.
29. Heart of Darkness - A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) Directed by Coppola's wife (sorry, forgot the name)
Martin Sheen's heart attack, Sam Bottoms dropping acid, Phillipines in revolt -- wonderful chaos.
30. Forrest Gump (1994) with Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise.
31. Caddyshack (1980) with Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Ted Knight.
Grab a six-pack and watch the 'Shack. Best lines:
10) Freeze Gopher!
8) Don't you people have HOMES!
7) It's in the hole!
6) Weeeell? We're waiting!
5) I don't play golf...for money...
4) Right in the lumberyard, Danny.
3) You're a tremendous slouch, Judge.
2) You'll get nothing and like it!
1) I want to be good, Judge.
"Caddyshack 2" is so bad, it's scary.
32. Stripes (1981) with Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates
5) We're ten-one-and-one!
4) I got the sh*t kicked out of me in Wisconsin!
3) Must have been all that cough syrup I drank.
2) No, never "convicted."
1) "Sammy, Get well soon, Dean"
33. Animal House (1978) with John Belushi, Tim Matheson, John Vernon, Tom Hulce.
5) Nothing is over until we say it's over!
3) Thank you sir may I have another!
2) You're on double-secret probation!
1) Seven years of f**king college down the drain!
34. Time Bandits (1982) with John Cleese, Sean Connery, Ian Holm, David Warner, Carol Kane.
35. Blazing Saddles (1974) with Gene Wilder, Cleavon Little, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn, Slim Pickes, Alex Karras
36. Princess Bride (1987) with Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Peter Falk, Billy Crystal, Carol Kane.
37. The Game (1997) with Michael Douglas, Sean Penn.
I just can't turn away when it comes on.
38. Ferris Beuller's Day Off (1986) with Matthew Broderick, Jennifer Grey.
I like the twist-n-shout scene, the Cubs, and the fun this movie had.
39. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) with Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood
What-are-you-looking-at...Dave?40. Meatballs (1979) with Bill Murray
5) This is the year Fink beats the Stomach!
4) Spaz! Spaz! Spaz!
3) My name is Jerry Aldini...
2) Eat, Fink, eat!
1) What? No mustard?
41. Heaven Can Wait (1978) with Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, James Mason, Charles Grodin, directed by/with Buck Henry
42. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) with Buddy Hackett, Tim Conway, Mickey Rooney, Milton Berle, Jimmy Durante, Ethel Merman, Sid Caesar, Spencer Tracy, Jim Backus, Jonathan Winters.
I first saw this in the 70's, and I see it every few years. I love this movie.43. ...And God Spoke (1994) with Soupy Sales, Eve Plum
One of those mock-umentaries, like "Spinal Tap", about the making of a biblical epic.44. Spinal Tap (1984) with Rob Reiner, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Fran Drescher, Howard Hesseman, Paul Schaffer, Dana Carvey, Billy Crystal, Ed Begley, jr., Angelica Huston
Funny stuff.45. Cool Hand Luke (1967) with Paul Newman, George Kennedy, Dennis Hopper, Wayne Rogers, Strother Martin, Joe Don Baker
3) What we have here is failure to communicate.
2) One in the box, Boss.
1) I can eat fifty eggs!46. Rocky (1976) with Sylvester Stallone, Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire, Carl Weathers</p>
Good for the soul -- "Cut me, Mick!"
47. LA Confidential (1997) with Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Kim Basinger, James Cromwell
Surprisingly hard to forget after seeing it twice already.
48. Young Frankenstein (1974) with Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Teri Garr, Marty Feldman, Gene Hackman, Cloris Leachman
Funny stuff! Nice knockers...
49. Sleeper(1973) with Woody Allen, Diane Keaton
I like the "funny" Woody Allen movies best.
50. Longest Yard(1974) with Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, Michael Conrad, Ray Nitschke
Any football movie with Nitschke has to be good.
51. The Blair Witch Project(1999) with Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael Williams
I liked it more because I didn't understand the ending at first, and then it made sense later.
52. The Getaway(1972) with Steve McQueen, Ali Mcgraw, Bo Hopkins, Slim Pickens, Sally Struthers
53. Raising Arizona(1987) with Nick Cage, Holly Hunter, John Goodman
1. "I looooove to drive."
2. "You're young, you got your health -- what do you want with a job?"54. Crocodile Dundee(1987) with Paul Hogan and Linda Kowalski
I love watching it everytime it's on. The second "Croc" is good, too, but I didn't bother checking out that "Dundee in LA" cr*p.
55. Independence Day(1998) with Will Smith and Jeff Glodblum
Good stuff, accurate tech.